The month of January wore me out.
- I turned 38.
- Traveled to Phoenix for the Fiesta Bowl.
- Had my spider veins injected (Happy Birthday to me!)
- Started a new job.
- Celebrated the Monkey turning 6 with sleep over.
- Had my brother-in-law in town for a couple of days.
- Went to the dentist.
- Visited urgent care.
- Worked from home.
- Attended Mc Teacher Night. (That’s a school fundraiser where the teachers work behind the counter at McDonald’s and no matter how much you try, you’re kids simply won’t let you out of it.)
- Volunteering in Kindergarten.
- And volunteered at VBS at Real Life Church. (Yes, most churches do VBS during the summer, but we’re not like most churches.)
At RLC we hosted our first ever Winter Kids’ Event (i.e., VBS) called “Whatever!” All 350 kids had a blast. Our committee had been working on it since last September, so to finally pull it off was a great feeling.
The Monkey had the verse, 1 Corinthians 10:31, memorized after the first day.
All week long we had the kids bring canned goods to donate to our local food pantry.
Here are the parents at our closing ceremonies learning the memory verse. That’s my great friend, Karin, on the left and the Golfer on the right.
Then on Friday night, as a culminating event to the week, our church hosted a Family Winter Fest, complete with “snow”. The rest of the country has too much snow right now, we didn’t quiet have enough. But there was some serious sledding going on.
Along with the snow and sledding we watched a movie in our church’s outdoor amphitheater. Reason #642 why we live in SoCal: You can watch movies outside in January.
There was even a pizza truck there serving up dinner.
It was a great week, but it wasn’t over yet.
Because on Saturday we had Mother/Son bowling at school. We teamed up with our buddies for bowling and more (sigh) pizza.
The ever-dapper Monkey chose to wear his bow tie (and Peace Store T-shirt) to bowling. Best dressed kid (or adult!) in the place.
It was actually a great month. The boys got to do so many great things: VBS and McDonald’s. Pizza and sledding. Bowling and pizza. But this month I’ve paid the price for all of that fun. I’m tired. It was fun, but I’m tired. Worn out. Exhausted. And I’ve eaten enough junk food to last me for the next 3 years…at least. (If my trainer’s reading this, I’m going to pay for that comment later.)
So I’m using today–a no school day–to relax. Except I need to catch up on the laundry. And the boys’ rooms are a mess. And I should really take some time to take care of hair removal. And there’s a stack of books that I’m dying to read and a Netflix movie waiting to be watched.
Somehow I’m going to force myself to sit and do nothing because I have a feeling that February isn’t going to be any better.
- Super Bowl party.
- Valentine’s date with the Golfer (still don’t know what I’m getting him.)
- Plan the Big Cheese’s 9th birthday.
- Organize Read Across America at school.
Anybody looking for any last minute Valentine’s Day gifts to give me?
How about a vacation?